Pages

Thursday 9 January 2020

Making My Tapa Design!

My Tapa!
WALT: create your own tapa cloth design.  






Task Description: 

So right here I have made a tapa and I didn't really think about what the parts mean, I kind just drew/created the design with no meaning towards it, except one thing. I have used all my concentration on trying to make my tapa good looking and memorizing. And in the end, I'm very proud of what I have created. 

If I thought about it the top part of my tapa is the Cook Island of my side it's very common to see this pattern on the tapa or a tivaevae used for very special occasions for important visitors, like birthdays and wedding gifts or used to cover a body of a loved one who has died.

The second is just one I created thinking it 'd be cool, in my thoughts yeah it looks great! But I saw something familiar it looked like one of the patterns you use for the Niuean tapas or Hiapo (Niuean bark cloth) created naturalistic motifs and were the first Polynesians to introduce depictions of human figures into their bark cloth. Some hiapo examples include writing, usually names, along the edges of the overall design.

And the last three are just extra decorations! Again about what I meant about the two cultures, my two parents came from them I don't specifically know where they came from, but it's still from the island and I'm very surprised and satisfied with the tapa I've created!

Thanks for visiting my blog! See you in another one!

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Hope,

    Your tapa looks beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

    I like how you didn't overthink it when creating your design, you just concentrated on what you thought looked good to you! It's really paid off.

    Thank you for sharing about the cultural side of the tapa. I think all the different meanings sounded beautiful and very meaningful. Have you ever made a tapa before or seen one in real life? Or is this the first time?

    Nga mihi
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao Erica,

      Thanks a lot Erica! I did search up what a tapa is, and saw there were parts to it I thought go bigger go hard, by drawing it with time and focus.

      I just said what I thought I saw in my creation! It really did surprise me with how I said it to be. I've never seen one in real life, but the tivaevae and the Hiapo is one I've seen. It's so amazing how people can make such things!

      Kia pai tō rā,
      Hope

      Delete